Search Recipes

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Baked Salmon and Fried Polenta Cakes

We received some amazing salmon filets from our new friends Jen and Jerry, and wanted to incorporate them into a dish. I had also wanted to try some polenta cakes, because I saw them on television, and had never made them at home.

I have to admit, I purchased the polenta! I know, but I am not Italian! So, next time, you will see the recipe for homemade polenta, and the rest of the story. I did repeat part of a previous recipe and oven roasted some cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, to use them up. It is a really simple thing to do, and they are so amazing !

Baked Salmon and Fried Polenta Cakes

Preheat oven to 400:

Toss together:
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Place these on a shallow baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase heat to 450.

For salmon:

1 pound of salmon, cut in 4 ounce filets
Salt and pepper
Lemons, cut in quarters
1/2 onion, thinly sliced

Layer onions in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Lay salmon on top, skin side down. Season wth salt and pepper and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 2-3 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

I used a roll of purchased organic polenta from Trader Joe's, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place a non-stick saute pan over medium heat and add approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is hot, place polenta cakes in pan, and sear 3 minutes on each side.

To plate, place 2 slices of fried polenta on the plate, and spoon balsamic glazed tomatoes over the top. Place salmon along side.

As I read this, it seems like a lot of work, but it really wasn't. The oven did most of the work, I just heated things up. And as you can see by the picture, it was really good !

No comments:

Post a Comment