Search Recipes

Monday, February 13, 2012

Goat Curry in the Crockpot

I wanted to plan something I could leave in the crockpot all day while I attended a brew date with the Bitches Brew Crew. I had to make a stop to South Minneapolis, which of course means a stop to the Global Market ! Ray wanted to try goat, so I picked some up at the Holy Land deli, and set about crafting a recipe to use it.

The meat was supposed to be "tenderloin", but quite honestly it was all kinds of cuts, and a lot of silver skin and ligaments, and I was worried about how tender it would be. I decided a long, slow stew would be best. Goat curry sounded smart to me, and we love the flavors of Indian cuisine. I was, however, a little disappointed when looking for a recipe, as most of them called for curry powder, and I know from previous recipes that very little actual "curry powder" is used when making curries. So, I made up my own combination, combining recipes for tikka masala and vindaloo.

Goat Curry in the Crock Pot

Make a paste of:

4 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 tablespoons chopped ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon canola oil


For the curry:
1 1/2 pounds goat (you could also use lamb or venison)
1 cup greek yogurt
4 cups chopped tomatoes
1 large red onion, diced
2 large red chiles, diced
2 tablespoons chile powder
4 tablespoons coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

The night before, start to marinate the goat in 1/2 of the garlic ginger paste and 1/2 cup of the yogurt. In the morning, combine all of the other ingredients except the yogurt in the crockpot, and set on low. Cook for 6-8 hours, until meat is tender. Just before serving, stir in the remaining yogurt. Serve over basmati rice.

11 comments:

  1. Hi there. I was wondering whether you would like to link this in to Food on Friday: Chillies and other spicy stuff. This is the link. You did some time ago link in a great dish to Food on Friday: Bacon. I now realize that I haven't been following your blog. Sorry about that. I have signed up to follow now. It would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carole, gave it a try posting this, not sure if it worked :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, your link worked fine - and I put the recipe title in for you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look up the 'Curry Base' recipe here..

    http://myfancypantry.com/2012/04/15/vegetarian-vegan-korma/

    -Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like such a great recipe! I just bought 1.5 lb. leg of goat at the farmers market and have been looking for a good crockpot recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this... I have been looking for a recipe like this. I also like to start a meal in the crock pot,... be gone for the day and come back to a nice hot meal. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm concerned there might not be enough liquid in the pot . Would some water or broth ruin or help the recipe? And if I skipped the yogurt/ginger marinade and seared the goat before adding to the pot, would that enhance flavor or wreck the meat? I'll have to experiment tonight but I'd love another opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would depend on how much "gravy" you like on your curry. You could use canned tomatoes and that would increase the amount of liquid. The yogurt certainly adds moisture, but more than that, tenderizes the meat. The goat is pretty tough, if you seared it first, I would be concerned it wouldn't break down enough while cooking and end up like leather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! Have used it many times now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't interchange lamb for goat. Different animals, distinctly different texture and flavor. Love goat meat. Need not be halal, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just bought some goat meat at my farmers marker for the first time..thanks so much for posting this recipe. Perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete