Search Recipes

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Honey Blackberry Frozen Yogurt

It's going to be a hot one out there today, so I wanted to make something cool and fruity to enjoy.

I purchased blackberries on sale, and they were so plump and sweet, but as I normally do, I bought more than we could eat. I decided making a frozen dessert would allow me to use them before they spoiled. Combined with our honey, I have to say this is one of my best inventions for the ice cream maker so far. And the color is really fabulous !

Honey Blackberry Frozen Yogurt 
2 cups fresh blackberries
1/2 cup honey, divided
2 cups plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Place blackberries in a blender with just enough water to make them liquefy, and blend. Strain to remove all of the seeds. Place the blackberry puree in a saucepan, along with 1/4 cup of honey, and simmer on low until reduced by half. Cool to room temperature. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, remaining honey, and vanilla and almond extracts. Place mixture in ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturers directions. When the yogurt is half way through the freezing process, add the blackberry puree. Freeze for 1-2 hours before serving.

2 comments:

  1. That’s a refreshing treat for a hot day! It’s healthy, too, because it is made of fresh blackberry, which is rich in vitamin A. Have you thought of putting up your own frozen yogurt business? I think it’s going to be profitable. Why don’t you give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet delight for the sweet tooth and health buffs out there! I also try out different flavors when I make my own yogurt for my kids. My wife helps me with the ingredients that would go perfectly well together. As a matter of fact, we have enough flavors to start our own ‘FROYO’ business. You should try it too!

    Clint Shaff

    ReplyDelete