Search Recipes

Monday, May 21, 2012

Popcorn Salad

Yes, that's right, Popcorn Salad ! Someone brought something like this to my wedding last year, so I wanted to try to recreate something similar.

It reminded me a bit of the Spring Salad that everyone was making a few years back, except with popcorn instead of pasta. So, I used that as my base, and worked out the details from there. It is truly different, but you may have to do some selling to get people to try it !

Popcorn Salad 


2 cups celery, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
1 cup onions, diced
1 small can water chestnuts, sliced
1/2 cup chives, chopped
2 cups mayonnaise
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
12 cups popcorn, popped and salted (purchased, bagged popcorn is fine)

Mix together the first nine ingredients, and refrigerate overnight. Just before you are ready to serve, stir in popcorn, bacon and cheese. Sauce will be absorbed by the popcorn.

5 comments:

  1. Um that someone would be me! I love that salad and this sounds like an excellent version of it that I now want to try! :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the popcorn get mushy? I would love to try this, sans bacon, maybe have to add something salty in its place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The popcorn will absorb some liquid, which is why you will want to wait to stir it in until just before you are ready to serve. If you leave out the bacon, you might want to add extra salt, although the popcorn usually comes salted, so it's really whatever your tastes allow !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems strangely intriguing, although I must admit that 2 cups of mayo makes me want to gag. I think I will try a reduced-mayo version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need the moisture from the mayo to offset the 12 cups of popcorn. Trust me, it works perfectly !

    ReplyDelete