Search Recipes

Friday, November 18, 2011

Cookies for My Dad

It has become a tradition everytime my parents visit, that I bake some cookies for my dad. His favorites are just the basic frosted sugar cookies (he swears the different colors of frosting taste different), and ice box cookies from my grandma's recipe.

I try to switch it up for him, you know, to expand his horizons. So last night I baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with dried cranberries. These are a different texture than the cookies I usually make. They are thinner, and chewy, almost like a granola bar. They had to bake longer than I thought, so now you can benefit from my trial and error ! I hope they enjoy these on their visit to Minneapolis this weekend.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Dried Cranberries
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon (yes, tablespoon) vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cup oatmeal
1 12 oz package semi sweet chocolate chips
6 oz dried cranberries

Cream together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and beat until fluffy, then add vanilla. Combine flour, soda and salt and mix until thoroughly combined, but don't over mix. Then add in oatmeal, and mix until thoroughly combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips and cranberries. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Cookies will look dark, because of all the butter and brown sugar. Let rest on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment