Search Recipes

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Wild Mushroom and Chard Frittata

I never had frittata growing up...wait, frittatas ? Frittata ? Anyway...
So, just being able to make one is pretty special to me. My husband grew up eating them, so the standard for making a good one is pretty high at our house.
Once a month, we get some wild mushrooms in our CSA basket. I wish I could tell you what kind these are, but I honestly have no idea. They were large, very delicate tasting, and I wanted to use them up right away before they spoiled. I also had some beautiful Swiss chard, potatoes, cippolini onions in the same basket, so this said frittata to me (yes, the food speaks to me, doesn't yours speak to you ?).
I think one of the things I like best about frittata is how easy it is to make. And, we had extra to snack on all afternoon, it's even good cold !
Wild Mushroom and Chard Frittata
6 tablespoons butter
3 cippolini onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 small potatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup wild mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Swiss chard, chopped
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 400. In an oven proof skillet, melt butter. Add onions and garlic, and sauté until soft. Add potatoes and continue to sauté until potatoes are almost completely cooked. Stir in chard and reduce heat to a simmer.Spread all the ingredients evenly over the bottom of the pan. Crack eggs into a bowl and add the milk and the spices. Whisk until frothy, then gently pour over the ingredients in the pan. Cook until the edges of the eggs begin to set, then place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the middle of the frittata is just barely set. Remove from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment