Search Recipes

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The "Chopped" Freezer Challenge

OK, so I LOVE cooking shows. BIG surprise. But the competitive ones are my favorites. And like any armchair gourmet, I sit in my living room and say "I could do that better!"

So, Ray issued me a challenge in order to get the freezers cleaned out for hunting season. He pulls three random containers out of the freezer each week, and I need to construct a meal from them, like the TV series "Chopped" on the Food Network.

Last night was the first challenge, and the ingredients were smoked pork, sweet potato soup, and hummus. And just for fun, some leftover pink frosting.

The hummus we just ate on toasted baguette as an appetizer. For the main dish, I made a smoked pork pad thai, and used the sweet potato soup as a sauce. We didn't really care for the soup when I first made it. It was a Thai flavored soup that had peanut butter in it. Unfortunately, the peanut butter seemed to take over all of the other flavors. But, in the "Chopped" pad thai, it was quite good. I added chopped red pepper, onion, celery, garlic and cilantro, some canned bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, and red pepper flakes. Made some pad thai noodles and stirred it together with the soup. It was really good.

I used some refrigerator crescent rolls and made small macadamia nut pastries, and frosted with the left over pink frosting. It was left over from some cookies I made for a bridal shower last year..about time we used it !

Ray ate so much he still wasn't hungry at breakfast today ! Must have been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment