Search Recipes

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Ice Cream Maker

Just a short note to BRAG about the new ice cream maker I received ! It was a nice surprise gift, for no reason.

It is VERY fancy. It has it's own refrigeration unit, so you don't have to pre-freeze a bowl or get 20 pounds of ice to make ice cream. We tried it after the end of our camping trip on Sunday.

Me being me, of course, plain old vanilla was NOT an option for the first try. Using ingredients we had on hand, and a new ice cream cook book we acquired at Half Price Books, I made honey goat cheese frozen yogurt. This was one of the most interesting tasting ice creams I have ever had. Definitely, if you don't like goat cheese, you wouldn't like this.

But, we do like goat cheese. And, for me, it is ice cream I can eat, because I am lactose intolerant. The consistency was more like soft serve ice cream, even after being in the freezer overnight. I made a quick raspberry sauce with the leftover raspberries from a batch of Sangrito....yummm ! Here is the recipe:

1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup honey
4 ounces of goat cheese
Juice from one lemon
4 ounces Greek yougurt

In a small saucepan, heat together water, sugar, honey, and lemon. Bring to a boil, then turn to simmer, and simmer 5 minutes. Let cool completely.

Blend together half of the syrup, the goat cheese and the yorgurt until smooth. Stir in the remaining syrup, and place in ice cream maker. Process as normal.

Contest recipes next week, and the final version of the goat cheese brownie recipe !

No comments:

Post a Comment