Search Recipes

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Comfort Food

Fall is upon us ! And as the colder weather sets in, I start to crave comfort food. We spent most of the weekend clearing out all the remaining vegetation from the garden, so stocking up for the long winter was on our minds.

We planted tomatillos with the intent of making green enchilada sauce. Little did I know we would have 15 pints after it was all canned ! I found we like the taste of homemade much more than the store-bought kind. It is very simple. We roasted about 15 pounds of tomatillos, then pureed them with 10 jalapenos, 4 large anaheim peppers, 5 cloves of garlic, 4 chopped onions and about 1 cup of diced cilanto. I added cumin, dried oregano, canning salt and black pepper, and a little sugar to take some of the "bite" out. Now, we have quick enchiladas all winter long !

After all this work, I made tuna casserole for dinner on Sunday (Hot Dish if you are from Minnesota!). I made a simple white sauce, added about 1/4 pound each of diced Havarti and Farmer cheese. Then, I seasoned with salt, pepper, cayenne and a pinch of nutmeg. Pour the sauce over your favorite noodles, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and butter and bake. Ray ate half a pan before bed ! We only got one lunch out of the leftovers, and it is gone.

Next up are soups using the giant carrots and potatoes from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment