Search Recipes

Friday, October 21, 2011

Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison Chops with Creamy Peas

Every year about this time, we try to clean out the freezer, in preparation for hunting season. We are doing so in earnest this year, because we also want to move the deep freeze outside, well, into the deep freeze !

We have a cut of meat that Ray calls a "chop" which is really a very small, thick cut steak. Generally, if we are grilling them, I would need to butterfly them to get them to cook through. But it was a bit chilly to grill, and too dark by the time I get home and get dinner going, so I needed another solution. I marinated these, and then stuffed them with a very nice blue cheese we get from Wisconsin, that is actually a blend of blue and monterey jack cheeses. It is not quite as strong as some blue cheese, and accents the flavor of the venison well.

Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison Chops

For the marinade:

2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Montreal steak season
1/4 cup water

Marinate chops 4 hours or overnight

Just before you are ready to start, preheat oven to 425*. Make a small pocket in each of the chops, and stuff with about 1 tablespoon of blue cheese. Close the opening and secure with a toothpick. Place on a flat pan, with an edge, and drizzle with olive oil. I sprinkled with smoked salt, but regular salt will work also, and cracked black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, then let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the toothpicks and serve.

I didn't plan ahead for a side dish, so I had to improvise. We had frozen peas, and I had some left over cream cheese. So, I drained off most of the water, and I melted the cream cheese into the cooked peas. Then, I stirred in 1/2 teaspoon ofdill weed and 1/4 teaspoon of celery salt, and salt and pepper.

This reminded me of a meal we had not too long ago at a pretty fancy steak house here in town. In this particular restaurant, you had to order your steak, and side dishes were each separate. I think my meal was at least as good as what we had there, and it didn't cost us $200!

No comments:

Post a Comment