Search Recipes

Monday, September 3, 2012

Palak Paneer

I think I could be addicted to paneer. I wanted to learn to make it from scratch, but we didn't have time to do that, and I found this GIANT package of it at the store, so I used it to recreate one of my favorite Indian dishes. 

Palak is sort of a spinach stew, and I really love spinach. When I told my husband I was going to make this, he said I better make a big batch, because he loves it too. So, I apologize in advance for the enormous proportions here, but it freezes beautifully, and I am looking forward to pulling it out of the freezer later on, and enjoying it again. 
Palak Paneer
1 two pound package paneer, cut into cubes
1/4 cup butter, divided 
1 large onion, diced 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
3 tablespooons ginger, minced 
1 serrano chili, minced 
1 tablespoon cumin 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon garam masala 
1/4 teaspoon cloves 
1  14 ounce can fire roasted, chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 pound fresh baby spinach
1 six ounce container greek yogurt
In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Brown the paneer cubes until golden on all sides, and remove from pan. Add remaining butter to the pan, and saute onions, garlic, ginger and serrano pepper until soft. Add spices and cook until spices are toasted. Add tomatoes and water, and about half of the spinach. Cook spinach down, and add remaining spinach. Continue to cook until spinach is soft. Using an immersion blender, blend the stew until somewhat smooth, but still has some texture. Add yogurt, and stir paneer back into pan. Let simmer until paneer is warmed through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment