Search Recipes

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spinach Mushroom and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche

I don't know what possessed me to make quiche. I never do...well, only once before in my life. I think after a weekend of excesses (rich food, homemade beer and wine), I wanted something a little lighter for dinner. Then I start thinking of something I like to eat (spinach) and what might go with that...eggs. Somehow, that made its way into this really simple dinner. 

I had some yogurt on hand to use up, and decided to add that to my egg mixture rather than milk. It gave the interior a nice, creamy texture. I am assuming one entire quiche is supposed to serve more than 4 servings, so that is testimony to how much we enjoyed this ! 

Spinach Mushroom and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche 
1 prepared deep dish pie crust 
2 tablespoons butter 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
1/2 large onion, diced finely 
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced 
6 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped 
1 large roasted red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled 
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 
6 large eggs 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon pepper 
Preheat oven to 425. In a large saute pan, heat up 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions 2-3 minutes until soft, then add mushrooms. Saute an additional 3 minutes, then scoop the mixture into the pie shell. Add remaining butter and olive oil to the pan, then stir in spinach. Saute until just wilted, then add to the pie shell along with the onion mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with roasted red pepper pieces, then feta cheese. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, salt and pepper. Pour mixture slowly into pie shell. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 35-40 minutes, until slightly browned on top and eggs are no longer "jiggly". Let sit 5 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment