Search Recipes

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Banana Cake with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting

I admit it. I hate bananas. I really do not like the texture of them at all. As a result, the smell of them reminds me of their disgusting texture, and it truly makes my skin crawl. I don't even let my husband kiss me after he has eaten one. 

I realize that's a little extreme, but it's a food texture issue, and there are certain things my mouth just won't tolerate...bananas, jello, marshmallows that have been cooked in jello, raisins that have been rehydrated. You see how this is going. But I don't hate banana bread, because combining the nasty bananas with the other ingredients transforms the texture. I just had to get past the "mooshing" part in order to make this cake. 

I figured if I put bourbon in the frosting, I could get past the bananas. But, Ray doesn't like bourbon, and he loves bananas. Is this cake doomed ? Not at all. Ray claims I finally found a way to make bourbon palatable for him, and I didn't hate the bananas ! 

Banana Cake with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting

For the cake: 
1/2 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup white sugar 
3/4 cup brown sugar 
4 large bananas, mashed 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 eggs 
2 1/2 cups flour 
1 tablespoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
2/3 cup buttermilk 
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with non-stick spray. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Mix in bananas, then vanilla and eggs. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Sift dry ingredients together, and add alternating with buttermilk until well combined. Pour into pan and bake for 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool. 

For the frosting: 
1 eight ounce package cream cheese, softened 
1/2 cup butter, softened 
1/4 cup good quality bourbon (I like Maker's Mark for this) 
5 cups powdered sugar 
Melt butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl. Add bourbon and powdered sugar, and mix until smooth. Spread on cooled cake. Let sit for 20-30 minutes before serving. This tastes even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment