Search Recipes

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Grilled Chicken and Joi Choi Slaw with Beer Vinaigrette

I was SO excited to get my first box from our Bossy Acres CSA. I had no idea what was going to be in the box, so I just took out some chicken for dinner (chicken goes with everything, right ?). I truly wasn't prepared for the massive box of greens that we received. What to make now ? And then I realized I didn't have a lot of other things with which to make dinner. I love to improvise, but this was going to be a challenge ! 

The joi choi was big and fresh, and rather than doing a stir fry, I thought a slaw sounded good. I like my slaw with a vinegar based dressing rather than a creamy one, so that part was easy. I had part of a bottle of some super hoppy beer in the refrigerator from last night. I asked Ray, "Do you think I could make a beer vinaigrette with that leftover beer ?" He thinks it's too hoppy, but I say 'Game ON!" 

It's a nice mix of sweet and bitter, and what a quick dinner this was to put together. I wanted another crunchy, toasty element on the salad, so I added the pecans toasted with Five Spice powder, and it was super good !

Grilled Chicken and Joi Choi Slaw with Beer Vinaigrette 
For the vinaigrette:
1 cup India Pale Ale
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Blend all ingredients together well, and set aside until ready to serve.

For the chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup ponzu
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Mix marinade ingredients together, and let chicken marinate at least 1 hour or overnight. Preheat grill to high, and grill chicken 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked completely. Let rest 4-5 minutes.

For the pecans:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon Five Spice powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
In a small saute pan, warm pecans until you can smell them begin to toast. Add spice powder and olive oil, and continue to toast until oil is completely evaporated. Remove from heat.

To assemble salad:
1 large Joi Choi, chopped
1/2 cup Vidalia onions, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Five spiced pecans
Grilled chicken
Beer vinaigrette
Toss the joi choi, onions and vinaigrette together, and layer on your dinner plate. Top with cranberries, pecans and chicken. Enjoy ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment