Search Recipes

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Grilled "Bruschetta" Fish with Parmesan Basil Potatoes

We have this strange contraption for grilling fish that I call the "fish cage". You literally trap the fish filets between two pieces of metal "cage", and throw them on the grill. It is really the only way to grill thin, flaky fish without sacrificing large chunks of your filet to the burning embers below.

It works nicely for fish like tilapia, orange roughy, or my new favorite, swai. If I have two thin pieces, I can even stack them on top of each other, and they will still cook nicely. I used the "fish cage" for this dish, so I could try out this new idea for an accompaniment.

I still am working on using my massive basil purchase, and we love bruschetta, but I wondered what it would taste like on top of my fish dish. The answer: amazing! The onion, garlic and tomatoes were just right, with some nice, crispy grilled potatoes and parmesan cheese, it felt like comfort food, but was made quickly on the grill. I think you'll agree!

Grilled "Bruschetta" Fish with Parmesan Basil Potatoes


For the topping:
2 large fresh tomatoes, diced (or a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes)
3 cloves garlic, diced finely
1/2 purple onion, diced finely
1/2 cup basil, cut chiffonade
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

For the potatoes:
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup basil cut chiffonade
Toss potatoes with olive oil and steak seasoning. Seal in a foil package and get ready to grill! Set aside cheese and basil for just before you are ready to serve.

For the fish:
1 1/2 pound fish filets, patted dry
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cloves garlic, smashed

Preheat grill to high heat. Sprinkle fish liberally with salt and pepper. Put fish filets in a wire grill rack (fish cage) putting smashed garlic between the filets). I always spray mine with nonstick spray before I add the fish. Get the potatoes started on the grill first, turning every 5-10 minutes, for approximately 30 minutes. Place your fish rack on the grill, and grill 5-7 minutes on each side, until fish is opaque, but not dried out. Serve on top of potatoes, and top with the bruschetta mixture.


1 comment: