Search Recipes

Friday, May 9, 2014

Recipe Redux: Spinach Tomato and Chick Pea Stew (with Baked Eggs)

This is a recipe I have posted before, and have made many times since originally creating it last year. I find as I make dishes over and over again, I add and subtract various ingredients, based on what I have on hand. I also find ways to make them more quickly. 

I enjoyed eating this so much for dinner last night, I wanted to re-post it. As I read through my original instructions I thought, "My gosh, I made that way more complicated than it needed to be !" So, I am re-posting it with simpler instructions. It really is a very simple dish. And so filling. I think you could add other vegetables if you wanted to, but why ? I love it just the way it is ! 

Spinach, Tomato and Chick Pea Stew
5 cloves garlic, finely diced 
2 medium sized onions, finely diced 
3 tablespoons olive oil 
6 cups fresh spinach, chopped 
2 cups chick peas, cooked (two cans drained will work here) 
1 quart chopped canned tomatoes 
1 1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 1/2 teaspoon pepper 
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 teaspoon cumin 
6 eggs 
Preheat oven to 400. In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil and saute garlic and onions until soft. Add all other ingredients except for the eggs, and cook for 20-30 minutes until spinach is tender and everything is cooked through. Using a spoon, make a well in the stew and gently drop an egg in. Repeat this process until all 6 eggs are in the broth. Cover the pot and place in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until eggs are just barely set. Scoop out into serving bowls and serve with crusty bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment