Search Recipes

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Caprese Juicy Lucy Sliders

I was asked to sample some new chicken sausages from Gold'N Plump, and develop some recipes using this new product. I am always up for a challenge, but when I received this big box of sausage, I have to admit I scratched my head a bit. 

The real challenge for me was to make it something other than just a sausage. Of course, I could make pasta, or a pizza, or some other standard fare, but I wanted to make something truly unique. 

We have recently been gorging ourselves on caprese salad, thanks to a massive purchase of fresh basil at the farmers market, so I decided I could incorporate those same ingredients with the spicy Italian chicken sausage and make something really unique. Even I was surprised at how easily this dish came together. The stretchy, gooey mozzarella cheese inside the sausage "burgers" was really fun to eat!

Caprese Juicy Lucy Sliders
1 package Gold'n Plump Spicy Italian chicken sausage
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 6 cubes
1 pint grape tomatoes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 large fresh basil leaves
6 small ciabatta buns, buttered
Salt and pepper

Remove casings from sausages, and place meat in a small bowl. Divide
into 6 small portions, and place a cube of mozzarella cheese in the middle of each one.


Flatten out to make a burger shape, making sure the cheese is completely covered.



Place grape tomatoes a small, ovenproof (and grill proof) pan, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.




Salt and pepper to taste. Put the tomatoes on the top rack of a hot grill, stirring frequently. When the tomatoes start to burst, place the sausage patties on the grill.
Grill approximately 6 minutes, then turn. Remove the tomatoes from the top rack, and place the buns, buttered side down, on the top rack to brown. After an additional 5 minutes, remove everything from the grill. Let the sausage patties rest, while you puree the tomato mixture. Assembly the burgers, using the tomato mixture like a relish, and place one basil leave on each one.
Can you see the gooey cheese inside ?


2 comments:

  1. I made these tonight along with your grilled cauliflower. SOOO good, my boyfriend ate 3 of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them ! We did too ! You can also sub in potatoes for the cauliflower....thanks for checking me out!

      Delete