Search Recipes

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chickpeas, Spinach and Baked Eggs


We really needed to use one of my "Chopped Refrigerator Challenge" nights to clear out some leftovers. When I am doing the cooking, I usually just start pulling ingredients, and tossing meals together. With Ray cooking, I needed to find a recipe with a least some general directs, that we could improvise with what needed to be used.

I love Google. I typed in spinach, chickpeas and egg, and got several hits, oddly enough. I chose this one:

 http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2012/10/spinach-with-chickpeas-and-fried-eggs

because I knew I could make it work with the other ingredients we had on hand. With a couple of revisions, I have to say this is one of my favorite Google finds ! And vegetarian to boot !

Chickpeas, Spinach and Baked Eggs
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, sliced
8 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper
1 quart canned tomatoes, drained, save the tomato water
3 cups cooked chickpeas, from dried (you can use 2 fifteen ounce cans, drained, as well)
4 whole fresh eggs
Additional salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic, and saute until golden. Add spinach, stir and cook until wilted, thenough remove from pan. Add remaining olive oil and onion, and cook until onions are translucent. Stir in cumin seeds and paprika, and salt and pepper, stirring regularly until onions are very soft. Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Keep heat on medium, and cook until tomatoes start to darken, about 10 minutes. Add tomato water, reduce to simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.

Break eggs one at a time into a small bowl, then gently slide them into the broth, spreading them evenly around the pan. Place pan in the oven and bake 8-10 minutes until eggs whites are set. Serve 1 egg in each bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment