Search Recipes

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Smoked Chicken and Black Bean Soup

This is the first cooking I have done in six weeks, and it should probably be subtitled "scooter chili". My husband has been doing all of the cooking while I recuperate from foot surgery. Getting around the kitchen isn't easy on a knee scooter, so I have been mostly a spectator. I usually cook to relieve stress as well, so you can imagine how much fun it has been for him !

With subzero temperatures this week, I wanted a hearty, warm soup, but it needed to be simple enough for me to make while scooting around. As luck would have it, we still had one chicken in the freezer from our Labor Day smoker, so I used some of that to bring an extra level of flavor to this soup. It was simple and delicious, and I was able to make it unassisted. A win all the way !

Smoked Chicken and Black Bean Soup

1 pound dried black beans
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
2 cups onion, diced
2 jalapenos, diced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon marjoram
2 cups smoked chicken, shredded
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Sour cream and fresh cilantro for garnish
Place beans in a large bowl and cover with water over the top, by two inches. Let soak overnight. In the morning, drain off water and rinse beans thoroughly. Place in crockpot, along with chicken stock, water, onion and spices. Stir together, and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Add chicken for the last hour of cooking. Stir in lemon juice just before serving, and top with sour cream and cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment