Search Recipes

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Homemade green sauce

I like most mexican food; however, the red sauce comes with enchiladas really is not my favorite. I prefer the green, which is a bit spicier, but also very expensive to buy for homemade enchiladas. So, I made my own.

I experimented with a couple of different preparations, but so far the favorite has to be tomatillo. I roasted the tomatillos in the oven, with just a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. I used my cool immersion blender to puree one small onion, 2 jalapenos, a handful of cilantro and about a quarter cup of green Tabasco sauce. Then, added the roasted tomatillos, and blended it all together.

It is a really pretty color, you can see flecks of the cilantro in it. Then I just did the usual enchilada prep, poured my sauce over, added cheese and baked. So much better, and I made enough for 2 pans of enchiladas, for a cost of less than $5.00. How cool is that ?

No comments:

Post a Comment